The Westmoreland Veterans Monument Preservation Committee (WVMPC) and the Westmoreland County Historical Society are pleased to announce that the Westmoreland County Veterans Monument will be rededicated on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. at Courthouse Square. The Monument was originally dedicated on Memorial Day 1925 at its original location on the grounds of the Borough of Greensburg property on North Main Street. Over the 90 years between Memorial Day 1925 and Memorial Day 2015, the Monument, which began as a tribute to Civil War veterans, grew into a Monument commemorating the service of veterans from all wars. This was accomplished by additions to the sides and rear of the Monument for each military campaign before and after the Civil War right up through Desert Storm in 1990.
At its dedication in 1925 the Westmoreland County Soldiers and Sailors Veterans Association placed cannon and mortar from the then Greensburg High School beside the monument.
It took the Civil War veterans 60 years to raise sufficient funds to have the Monument cast in bronze by American Art Bronze Foundry, Chicago, IL.
When the Westmoreland Museum of American Art entered their expansion phase, it became necessary to relocate and find a permanent home for the Monument. The Westmoreland Veterans Monument Preservation Committee was formed and subsequently hired A. Raimondo, Inc. to dismantle and remove the Monument from the museum grounds and undertake a complete cleaning and restoration of the Monument. The Monument was removed in June 2013.
The WVMPC has been raising funds since that time for this project. Thanks to the generous contribution of the Richard King Mellon Foundation as well as contributions from the Katherine Mabis McKenna Foundation and Charles H. Booth, Jr. from the Burrell Group, Inc., the Committee has raised 80% of the needed funds to relocate the Monument. Donations are still being actively solicited.
Mayor Ron Silvis and the Greensburg City Council have been strong advocates for the relocation project and were willing to donate space at St. Clair Park, but the Westmoreland County Commissioners then agreed to the relocation at Courthouse Square. The WVMPC determined that the Courthouse Square site was the best and most visible location for the Monument.
Ninety (90) years after its original dedication, the restored Monument will be unveiled at a short dedication ceremony with appropriate military honors, Civil War and other re-enactors, and music. The public is invited and encouraged to participate in this very fitting Memorial Day event.
The following link provides background on Single-Soldier monuments, such as the one for Westmoreland County: