The French & Indian War
The French and Indian War was a seven-year war between England and the American colonies, against the French and some of the Indians in North America. When the war ended, France was no longer in control of Canada. The Indians that had been threatening the American colonists were defeated. This war had become a world war. Great Britain spent a great deal of money fighting the war and colonists fully participated in this war. Both these facts were to have a profound effect on the future of the colonies.
LOCATIONS: Bushy Run Battlefield, Ft. Ligonier, Braddock’s Rd, Forbes Rd.
A Taste of History
at Fort Ligonier
June 19th, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Fort Ligonier, 200 South Market Street, Ligonier, PA 15658
Join Fort Ligonier for a ‘Taste of History’! A casual evening with friends at the Fort! Enjoy bread-baking demonstrations with Ed Tutino, great music and refreshments. Held outside in the lower Fort area. Cost: $8.00/members of the Fort Ligonier Association;$12.00/non-members. Reservations are helpful–call: 724-238-9701.
at the Fort
June 27th, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Fort Ligonier, 200 South Market Street, Ligonier, PA 15658
A FREE concert by the Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra on the grounds of historic Fort Ligonier. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets, relax on the hillside, and enjoy this outstanding summer concert. Doors open at 6 PM.
Colonial America brought tremendous changes to North America with the onset of European settlements, the battle for control resulting in the French & Indian War, the Revolutionary War and the foundations of a new nation, the United States of America.
LOCATIONS: Historic Hanna’s Town, Lochry Block House in Latrobe.
Colonial Court Days
at Historic Hanna’s Town June 27th, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Historic Hanna’s Town, 809 Forbes Trail Road, Greensburg, PA 15601
Explore what it was like living on the western frontier in the late 1770’s at Historic Hanna’s Town, the site of the first English court west of the Allegheny Mountains…
Step back in time to when the Revolutionary War-era village of Hanna’s Town served as the seat of government for Westmoreland County and held the first English courts west of the Allegheny Mountains. Sessions of Colonial Court, featuring actual cases heard at Hanna’s Town between 1773 and 1786, will be presented outside the tavern in Historic Hanna’s Town. Along with hearings for disorderly conduct and selling liquor without a license, cases will be presented against an “alleged” horse thief and an indentured servant girl accused of stealing clothing. Charges of treason will be heard. See how those who were convicted of crimes paid their debt to society in the 18th century. Historic Hanna’s Town volunteers and members of the Independent Battalion Westmoreland County Pennsylvania will reenact selected cases.
Hanna’s Town was attacked and burned on July 13, 1782 by a raiding party of Native Americans and their British allies while court was in session. The town never recovered and ceased being the county seat in 1786 when it was moved to Greensburg.
Court will be held at 11 AM and 2 PM on Saturday and at 2 PM on Sunday. Admission is $5 for adults and $4 for seniors/children and includes a site tour in addition to court.
Historic Hanna’s Town is located at 809 Forbes Trail Road, Hempfield Township, 15601. For additional in-formation, call 724-532-1935.
The Early Republic period in America is a time of transition and hope. Americans greet the age of industrialization and build businesses, schools and towns bolstering the new nation’s economy and standing in the world.
Visit the Distillery Museum at West Overton Museums or the Coaching Inn at Compass Inn Museum and see for yourself the ideals and changes in the early 19th century America.
LOCATIONS: Compass Inn Museum, Fulton House, Harrolds No.8 Schoolhouse, St. Vincent Gristmill, West Overton Village & Museums.
An Evening of Music With . . .
Saturday, June 6th, 6:30 pm
This FREE concert featuring the vocals, music and humor of Amy Clarke and Jeff Bell will be held on the beautiful historic grounds of the Compass Inn Museum.
Arrive early, bring your own tasty treats and libations, and select a spot to set up your chairs or blanket to enjoy the music.
The acoustic music duo “StringTyme” features a wide array of musical styles, two voices, and a LOT of strings. Based in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, “StringTyme” was born in the fall of 2014 when award-winning singer/autoharp player Amy Clarke moved back to her hometown and teamed up with local guitar/banjo/ukulele player Jeff Bell to perform at a few local venues. In addition to their common background playing bluegrass music, Amy and Jeff quickly found a shared interest in exploring other styles of music including folk, country, swing, Tin Pan Alley, novelty, and western music.
A typical “StringTyme” show now spans all these genres and features Amy’s powerful vocals and rhythmic autoharp and guitar playing (plus some mean “pizza box percussion”), coupled with Jeff’s instrumental accompaniment and crowd-pleasing humorous novelty tunes. The songs are both old and new, familiar and obscure, and there’s often plenty of audience interaction, including sing-along favorites. More info is available at: www.stringtyme.com
For more information about this musical event, please call 724-238-6818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our network of transport has seen many changes over the years. Indian tracks were followed by the British to build the first roads, like Forbes Road, and these evolved into the highways we use today. Just like the Lincoln Highway, (Route 30) which celebrated it’s 100th Anniversary in 2013. One hundred years of motoring from East coast, (Times Square, New York) to West coast (San Francisco)!
Take a road trip today and discover the past ….
Bells Mills Covered Bridge
Built in 1850, the Bells Mill Bridge is a burr arch truss design, 13 feet wide and 104 feet long. This is the only remaining covered bridge in Westmoreland County and is in daily use connecting South Huntingdon and Sewickley Townships. The bridge was designed by Daniel McCain who was also the contractor. It is located on Bells Mill Road where it crosses Sewickley creek. Bells Mill Road intersects PA Route 136 approximately 3.5 miles East of West Newton or 3.5 miles West of Madison. This bridge was placed on the National Register in 1979.
Local History & Geneology
Trying to trace your family tree? Or want to find out more information about the old building down the street? Whatever your needs, the historical societies in Westmoreland County can help. They have an abundance of archives, libraries and collections. For a complete list, visit http://westmorelandheritage.org/historic-sites/historical-societies/ or the Westmoreland County Historical Society office, located at 362 Sandhill Rd., Suite 1 (Beatty Crossroads). 724-532-1935
Westmoreland County is steeped in history, from the earliest settlers in the mid 1700’s… to the arrival of the industrial revolution and the coal and steel industry.
Visit Fort Ligonier Museum and discover how the French & Indian War impacted the area or spend an afternoon learning the history of the Ligonier Valley Railroad.
LOCATIONS: Antiochan Heritage, Bushy Run Battlefield History Center, Compass Inn, Ft. Ligonier, Greater Monessen Heritage, Greensburg Volunteer Fire Dept. Museum, Ligonier Valley Railroad, Mt. Pleasant Glass, Southern Alleghenies Art, Victorian Vandergrift, West Overton Museum and Distillery, Westmoreland Museum of American Art.
The Bryce Family and the Mount Pleasant Factory: The Exhibit
Through August 22.
Mount Pleasant Glass Museum, 402 East Main Street, Mount Pleasant, PA. Museum Hours: Wed thru Sat 11-3. Admission: $3.00
The speaker event about the Bryce family was so successful we expanded it to celebrate the family and the factory in an exhibit running for three months from May 23 to August 22. The exhibit will present an indepth view of family, factory, and town.
Six sons and grandsons of James Bryce ran Bryce Brothers from 1898 to 1952: Andrew, James McDonald, Frank, S Allen, Gerard, and Kirk Bryce. Each made their mark on the factory which was visible in the designs created, the control of the factory line, the attitude of the workers, and the progress made.
Andrew and James McDonald, called Donald, brought Bryce Brothers from Pittsburgh to Mount Pleasant via Hammondville. They built their factory along the railroad tracks over what once was the Hazlett Mine coke ovens. It was the era of etched glass and Bryce was heavily involved. By 1905 the plant had been electrified. They were the only factory in the United States using the pantograph for etching in 1906.
Andrew died in 1909 and Donald took over the helm. Bryce was a part of the yearly Pittsburgh Exposition, established a New York City showroom, and set up a school for the children working at the factory. During World War I Bryce, like many factories, suffered from embargos placed on transportation. They participated in War Bond Saving Stamp drives, and members of their family served in the armed forces. They hired women to fill the ranks of missing men who were off to war, while keeping the men’s insurances and positions until they returned from battle. Donald died in 1919.
Frank Bryce was the next president. He only held the position for three years: 1919-1922. He continued the Pittsburgh shows and began to develop new products as the call for etched products was on the wane. Among the products introduced at this time were a satin-finish lustre glass, a crystal crackle ware, and a Chinese willow pattern. In addition to the New York showroom Bryce expanded to new offices in Boston and, just after Frank’s death, exhibit rooms in Chicago.
It was under S Allen Bryce that the factory began looking toward producing bar ware for major hotels and public facilities in the country and the world. Their design department under Elmer Bell grew in stature as new designs received patents. By this time the company had established a ball team, created a ball park on their grounds, created Brush Run Camp for the enjoyment of their employees, and had a chorus. Allen held the reins from 1923-1936.
By the time Gerard Bryce took control of the company (1936-1943) there were 500 employees in the factory. In 1937 Bryce Brothers voluntarily gave the men a 10% pay increase. Once again many new patents were received. All of the Bryce men were active in the community. From helping to found the Pike Run Country Club, to being on the Board of Directors of local churches, to serving in the military, a Bryce was there. Gerard was a Major in the 110th Infantry and served in Mexico and World War I.
Kirk Bryce was the last of the Bryce men to run the factory (1943-1952). By that time most of the employees had unionized and during Kirk’s tenure the production men organized. A gas short-age forced the company to shut down during the bad winter of 1948. Under Kirk several of the most famous Bryce patterns were developed: Colonnade, Aquarius, and Lido. They were developed under William Morrison.
The factory continued until 1965. The only other Bryce related president was Robert Holt, the husband of Peggy Bryce. Then the factory was sold to Lenox Crystal.
Once again we call upon the public to open up their hearts and their memories and bring us artifacts, photographs, and stories about the family, the factory, and their relation to them. We would especially like to find a picture of Peggy in her yellow convertible with leopard skin seats. There will be a corner of the exhibit called YOU TELL US. You can sit down and write what you want to tell us. You can write it ahead of time and put it in the box on the table. You can give us photos and and we will scan and return them. You can tell us via email: mtpleasantglass email@example.com.